From:
Travis A Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:23:09 -0500
Hi everyone

I posted about a week ago, with a ferret, Powder, who had a swollen abdomen.
I went back to the vet last night to have a more ferret knowledgeable vet
take a look.  (He was on vacation the first time).  He thinks Powder has
Patent ductus arteriosis, which if I remember correctly is when the hole
(ductus arteriosis) between the atria that ferrets and humans (as well as
most animals) have while they are in the womb doesn't close after birth.
The hole allows the blood to bypass the babies lungs, since the mother
oxygenates the blood.  Apparently Powder's never closed up so he has a heart
defect.  The vet said this would cause the retaining of fluids because his
body is trying to make more blood volume to replace the blood that leaks
between the atria.  The fluid build up has started to damage the liver which
is why his liver proteins were down as well as him being slightly anemic.

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of this?  My vet said this
happens in dogs and cats, but this is the first he has ever seen in a
ferret.  If anyone has any ideas on what to do, I would appreciate it.  He
is on lasix(sp?) to remove the fluid from his abdomen, but the vet guessed
he only has a few months to live before either the liver gets him or his
little heart just gives out.

Thanks for listening

Travis, Loki & Powder