From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 09:06:24 -0400
>From:    Donghoon Hyeon <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cat Litter?
>My point is that: the ferret litter (compressed newspaper) is too expensive
>compared to the cat litter.  I looked up ferret central and it says cat
>litter is ok except some potential problems.  I would like to get some more
>information about this potential problems and, is there anyone using cat
>litter and finds it ok?

Although I now use and prefer recycled newspaper litter, I used regular (not
clumping) cat litter for years.  Our Sidney used this litter 7.5 years and
was healthy as can be, though one ferret doesn't make for a good sample.  I
always used the plain, unscented type since the other kinds (Fresh Step,
etc.) seemed to have a pretty overpowering odor and would make my eyes water
if I got my face as close to it as a ferret would.

Can't say I ever had a problem with the clay litter, but I also never had a
ferret that liked to snorkle or dig in the litter either.  If your ferrets
do either of these things, clay litter may be a bad choice.  I believe there
is some concern that clay litter is a carcinogen, but it seems like just
about everything is.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
*
* Visit our web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org