From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:08:41 -0700
>From:    Maggie Mae <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Maggie Update
>I have a question.  I realize the connection with deafness and the color
>patterns (yes I know the W gene like I can remember that) but I was
>wondering if anyone has any experience with deaf albino ferrets?  Or better
>stated, does that trait run with the albinism gene?

We've seen a noted vet mention it but we've not seen it in our ferrets.
BUT...  an albino can be any color hidden.  Even a Waardensburg pattern.

>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Nobody Know the Trouble I See; Nobody Know But Jesus.
>One should learn from the keepers of dog and cats.  There are 135
>different "races" of dogs and some "37" different "races" of cats.  The
>dog and cat breeders are constantly breeding their critters for specific
>characteristics, health, stamina, resourcefullness, and longevity.  What
>are the vast majority of ferret keepers doing?  Nothing.

Unfortunately we disagree with most of this post as well.  Dogs and cats
don't have races.  They have breeds.  Race and breed are quite different
in that breeds implies much more difference physically than race does.

The vast majority of dog and cat breeders are not particularly well
informed about breeding and how to selectively breed.  Most breeders are
the one dog or cat that happens go get pregnant and probably isn't a
registered purebred breeding with the appropriate registered purebred.

One of the advantages of the selling of pre-altered ferrets is that it
takes more effort to get a whole ferret (actually a pair) and breed them.
We suspect quite strongly that there are more responsible ferret breeders
proportionally than responsible dog and cat breeders.  Even those that most
question the responsibility of - Marshall and other ranches are trying to
run a business (both meanings <grin>) and those are inclined to be more
careful about what they breed.  We who breed are quite concerned with
selecting for positive traits and against negative traits.

Every ferret breeder we know has specific goals in mind.  None are "just
money".  All have certain traits they prefer.  Albeit with some its just
colors.  But most have certain ideas on how they think they can make their
ferrets "better" than any other breeder's ferrets.  Bringing in of traits
from remore locations is one technique well known.  All of these breeders
are quite vocal about this.  Surprised you've missed it.

But as we remember you were one strongly objecting to angora ferrets which
are the first possible new ferret breed.  Which is it?  Breed for different
characteristics?  Or not?

>Just remember Children with your "toys" ... every desexed ferret bought
>is one more step down the yellow brick road of extinction.

NO!!!!  Every desexed ferret is rather one more pet ferret that will never
suffer aplastic anemia if a jill or be cursed with a life with too much
solitariness and smelliness.  What is your source for the mistaken
impression that neutering of pets leads to extinction?  Quite a few
knowledgeable folks have indicated that your statement is incorrect.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]