From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 16:52:00 -0700
>From:    Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Microchips  (yes,yes,yes))
>The installation of a micro chip requires NO MORE than an extra
>innoculation.  This places the permanent ID the skin of the animal(s)
>above the shoulder blades.

Well sometimes they start there but end up elsewhere.  We've known them to
slide under the skin down to the belly.  <grin>

>From:    lbancrof <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Distemper Shots
>A shelter operator recently told me that her vet recommends a rabies and
>TWO distemper shots for a ferret with an unknown shot history.  My new
>ferret from a shelter has had one rabies and one distemper shot.  Does he
>need another distemper shot to protect him?

Did your ferret have an unknown shot history?  If so then is is normally
recommended that two distemper shots three weeks apart be given.  If the
ferret had a known (pretty) good record of vaccinations before arriving at
the shelter then the two shot series isn't needed.

>From:    Darren Gilland <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret odours
>Our "Sherlock" is 5 months old and does not smell at this point, however,
>he does swim a lot at the lake, or in the bath tub.  He was descented and
>neutered at 6 weeks of age.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Sherlock smells like he will smell pretty much for the rest of his life.
He won't "mature" quite the same since he's already neutered.  Your
mother-in-law probably was told at some point about how whole male ferrets
smell when in rut.  You won't have that problem.

>From:    Robynn McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: feral ferrets..wha?
>The book claims that a feral population of ferrets has become a danger to
>the native fauna including the kakapo, and the national bird of New Zealand,
>the kiwi.  Apparently in 1882 ferrets were introduced in order to control
>the rabbit population, and the book claims that the ferrets have over run
>the country to the point of being a threat.  I'd never heard this, and it
>seems kind of amazing to me, is it really true?

Yes and no.  Ferrets have gone feral there along with polecats and other
weasels.  The group of mustelids along with cats and dogs have caused
environmental problems.  Not the ferret alone.

>What surprised me even more, was that the book says the same thing has
>happened on San Juan Island, Washington.

This population didn't survive.  Apparently there were some "feral" ferrets
there at one point but the colony couldn't survive and all died out.  This
shows more that ferrets probably can not go feral in the United States more
than they can.

Fresh roadkill (note fresh) can be reasonable to feed a ferret.  We choose
not to.

James McKay's books are interesting.  Some of the English ferrets that
came over a few years ago came from him including some lines that have
passed into our ferretry.  He is somewhat controversial in the UK from
what we understand.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/