From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 19:45:31 -0400
I was interested to learn in a recent post that N.Y. is annexing CT
(reference to a certain traveler planning to visit YPM in N.Y.).  Oh, well,
LI used to be part of CT so why not?

Foods: Okay, our ferret experiences date back to pre-great-food days.  We
didn't run into any difference in longevity in those times compared to now;
what we did see was a much improved QUALITY of life after using the better
foods (for them and for us -- they acted healthier, happier, and had better
coats, while we had less food eaten and therefore fewer poops to clean, and
those didn't smell as bad as with the poor quality foods).  Our experiences
in relation to illnesses during the two times most likely mean nothing for
various mathematical reasons but we have not had a case of lympho since
going to the better foods, did not have a case of cardiomyopathy till after
going to them, and had twice as many adrenal tumors (assorted varieties, 2
cases versus 1) after going to the better foods.  Hey, nothing in life is as
simple as one would wish -- even in wasteland flowers blossom.

Bob, thanks for once again reminding people to not try to substitute the FML
for vet visits.  Those which get the care they need too late are the deaths
which most pain me because so many of them are needless.  Some happen when
vet care is delayed; some happen when people don't keep their vets informed
(correctible by passing along the ferret medical FAQs available as per
instructions above, and on the Ferret Central website); some happen simply
becasue too few vets know ferret care, yet.  (Heck, we still -- but more
rarely now -- hear of vets who think that the adrenal diseases ferrets get
are Cushings, or that right adrenals are inoperable, or that there aren't
multiple chemo options for lympho, or that ferrets can't be treated to live
longer and better with cardiomyopathy, or...) Oh, and remember that Pam
Troutman has put together lists of vets who are used to treating ferrets.