From:
Alicia Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:53:09 -0700
I had to take a moment to tell you about several new kids (that's wjhat I
call them) at Ferret Wise.

Harley-- is a soewhat depressed 2 year old who found his owners had no
intgerest in him as their birth date for human chilkd approached-- he is
settling in though desperately bored at the shelter-- we are hopeful he will
have a home to go to in the next few days -- a prescreening appointment is
set and he is vaccinated and microichipped-- then there is Janie "Doe" a
beautiful well mannered gentile youngster who was found seeking refuge in
the latest storms 10 days or so ago-- she arrived with engorged ticks and
very hungry-- she has adapted easily to the shelter diet of Totally Ferret
and is less afraid of other ferrets--

Then the heartbreak kids arrived--
Freddie and Flint-- at 1 1/2 years these two boys have not ever been handled
by humans -- they have lived in a gorgeous cage during the evenings -- and
outside in another cage during the day--- but have only been handled with
rubber gloves-- they are a sadf, but beautiful pair.  current on shots-- but
very gun shy-- Flint moreso than Freddie--

I am happy to say on day 5 they are responding much better to being held
close and stroked, Freddie is actually looking for hugs, while Flint is
still scared and shakes.....nips follow... but I am working on building
their trust after all it is a new environment.

It -really makes you wonder why these folks get their ferrets in the first
place....

and other news:

A joint sponsored seminar is in the planning stages -- we will be
announcing it in the near future

 - The Domestic Ferret : Abuse investigations, abandonment, and how to
handle it -- and MORE.  Tenative location Concord, NH--  tenative date
October '98

Open to animal control officers, shelter volunteers, ferret caretakers, and
interested public-- RESERVATIONS WILL BE REQUIRED and there will be a
registration fee for attendees with materials to take home

watch the calendar section of http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html
or email to FerretWise @top.monad.net

Happy Ferreting

Alicia