From:
Kaye FitzGerald-Gorham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:38:44 +0100
>Have any of you seen a ferret go running through your room with a baby
>pacifier in his mouth?  I have a pacifier... and Furlow loves to suck and
>chew on it.  I try to keep it out of his reach because I don't want him to
>swallow any little pieces but he will go anywhere to get ahold of it.

Over here we call them "dummies" and I have a 2 year old who still uses
them when she goes to bed.  Yes, I quite often find the ferrets or the pup
running around with them in their mouths....panic time coz of the chewing
and swallowing options!  So far, so good.......but I have to keep my eyes
skinned all the time!  One of our ferrets goes completely ballsitic if he
gets hold of one......I have to prise it out of his mouth while he growls
at me.

Re; dogs and ferrets................we've got a collie X greyhound lurcher,
a JRT and a new pup, a Bedlington X greyhound lurcher.  The collie X is
scared to death of the ferrets coz they nip her legs (she's 24" and they're
about 4" !), the JRT tried to eat their wooden hutch when we first got them
but now he just ignores them unless they look like they're into an
interesting rabbit hole when he joins in the digging and the new pup thinks
either they're small pups or she's an over grown ferret coz they all play
together.  I think the important thing is to introduce them gradually and
under supervision whatever the breed.  But with something like a JRT you've
got to bear in mind that they're ratters and you've got to try to persuade
the pup that the ferrets aren't rats!  Let the ferrets bite the pup to show
it that they're not to be taken lightly and encourage them to play together.
But be careful!  Good luck.

K.