From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 1998 20:34:58 -0400
Err, folks, could we have a little balance here?  It's possible to arrange
door barriers so that uncaged ferrets don't escape; it's also possible for
those who have cages to arrange the ferrets' fun times so that the cages
become a cherished home.  We have barriers and we have cages.  (Usually
there is only one main cage in use except for when illness or handicap make
it necessary for multiple ones to be used.) Typically our ferrets have
free-run of the entire back of our home (away from the doors to the outside)
for enough hours a day that they have to take naps during that time.  Where
do they decide to nap?  As often as not they'll go back to the cage to sleep
because it's not "jail" it's "home" and fullfills the part in life that a
burrow will fill for "wild cousins".  The cage is where they CHOSE to be
when a storm is brewing, BTW.  Let's not go from one extreme to another;
each family's solutions have to be based around individual situations.