From:
Jennifer Hodes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:43:33 +0000
Hello all,

I have something on my heart that I wanted to share.  First of all, my baby
Yin died.  We will miss him very much.  He had an accident while we were at
work, and now Yang, and our new kit Zorro (who we rescued from a pet store
that was treating him badly) are kept in the cage unless supervised.  I
would love to give them the run of the room, but I just can't take another
accident from some detail I missed somewhere.  If you want to read more
about them, go to my new home page http://www.angelfire.com/ny/LadySong .  I
put all about them there.  Meanwhile I have another issue that is pressing
on me, that I feel the need to talk about.

I know this has been a major conflict here on the FML, and I'm not doing
this to start a war, but I saw something yesterday that brought me to tears!
I understand that what I saw isn't always the case, and there are those who
don't know what they are doing, but I think the point of this is not to
judge all shelters on a steiotype.  So, disclaimer out of the way (shame
that I need one), I'll go on with the story.

After Yin died, my SO and I decided we had to get a companion for Yang.  We
decided this time we would get shelter ferrets, and give them a loving home.
We found out that three were coming up for adoption at a local shelter.  We
wanted to go down and see how the shelter was run, and meet the Shelter Mom.
Anyway, we went down there Sunday, and the love and care that I saw there
just made me want to cry.  This woman cares so much for ferrets!  She wants
to help them stay alive at all costs to her.  She doesn't ask for donations,
she pays out of her own pocket to keep these babies alive!  And what a
wonderful job she is doing.  We helped her as she gave the medicines to all
her ferrets, there must have been at least 40 or 50 of them, and as she
cleaned the cages.  We took them out, and played with them, and were
priveledged to see some of the sick ones dance a bit.  I think the most
amazing thing I saw there was the look in the Shelter Mom's eyes as she
cared for all the ferrets.  You could see the love, and the held back
tears... No one could tell me that this woman didn't care more for those
sick ones than she does for herself!  She also breeds ferrets!  The mom only
has one litter a year, and when they are too old to breed, they are retired
from breeding, and loved for the rest of their lives.  At any rate, as were
were discussing bloodlines and how so many are getting sick due to problems
that the US is having in blood lines.  She has bought Aussy ferrets and
German ferrets to help breed the impurities out of the line, and help us get
the lines healthy again.  I think if we had more peple who were this
responsible as shelters, AND breeders, maybe our babies would stop getting
so sick!  Anyway... another thing she does is since no one in the area sells
Totally Ferret, she buys it in bulk, and sells it to people at COST!  She
just wants people to use it so that the ferrets stay healthy.

I suppose the lesson here is, don't judge everyone based on a steriotype...
don't condemn all shelter breeders just because a few are not doing things
right... Rather, find those you KNOW are not doing things right, and NOT
caring for the ferrets, and worry about them.  It does no good to the Ferret
community to condemn those trying to help it!

Also, although she would never ask for donations, she is badly in need of
them.  If anyone would like to donate to her, please write me E mail, and
I'll get you in touch with her... Hopefully, due to the amount of money she
owes the vet on extensive surgeries this year alone (I saw the bills) she
will accept some help.  If you just want to flame, don't bother writing... I
don't want to hear it about this wonderful caring woman!

        LadySong & her two fuzzies

Yang (I miss yin, but thanks for the baby brother) &
Zorro (wow, I have a home now... and a brother that loves me!!!)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
ICQ # : 13170713
AOL instant messenger: LdyIshanna
Home Page: http://www.angelfire.com/ny/LadySong