From:
Lise O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:05:04 -0700
Hi everyone!

All of the ferret sightings have me excited!  First the Monster thing on
TNT including Ms. Isrealson's Sam I am and other children.  Wow!  Then a
sighting on Animal Channel's program filmed at a vet's office in Denver as
well as a "club hopping" lady on Jay Leno's show.

Re: the article in the Boulder paper: Please advise what issue did the
ferret article appear?  I'm going to ask my Aunt (lives in Evans) if she
can obtain a copy to send to me.

Oh, before I forget, someone wrote in advertising a Vets. conference on
ferrets which is to take place in CA Sept. 27th.  Could that person email
me with more info.?  The local shelter mom has a daughter who is a vet.
and there are three other vets to whom I would like to forward this
information.

From what I gather from the last few posts, there seems to be a problem
with ferts going into heat when they should have been spayed.  There also
seems some discontent among us regarding the young age our babies are
spayed and neutered.  I personally, would like to wait until they are a bit
older before having them "de-sexed", as I've heard it termed.  What about
if we all got together and petitioned (in a polite manner) farms such as
Marshalls, Path Valley, etc., asking them not to spay and neuter our babies.
I know most of the populous are used to (and maybe prefer?) ferrets to
arrive in the pet stores desexed and descented.  In fact, when I bought my
first fert (I was **VERY** ignorant then), one of the major tools the young
gent used to sell me my first born was that she was descented and desexed
(I didn't know they arrived at the store that way or that these proceedures
were prefered.  All I knew was that I was *finally* going to get my first
baby).

Okay, I'm rattling.

Another possibility would be to encourage the farms to change the guidelines
as to when they ship the ferts to pet stores.  I know one can adopt a fert
as young as six weeks.  Maybe that needs to be moved back to twelve weeks.
That way the desexing and descenting can be done at a older age.

Anyone willing to give it a try?

Rabbits & Ferrets: Whenever I go to the mall, I have to stop at the pet
store.  If I pet the rabbits after I pet the ferrets, the rabbits react in
a frighten manner.  I do not obtain the same type of reaction when I pet
the rabbits first.  I don't know if a fert is willing to befriend a bunny,
but my impression is the wabbit is not too eager to hang with the fert.

I had a sickie a while back.  It was my eldest, Domi.  She was finally
diagnosed as anemic and placed on tinnic as well as protien and enzyme
powder, which I add to her chow.  She's doing well.  <major G>

My newest guy, Sully, the frightened biter who was found roming the streets
in Alvin, TX, has turned into a right ol' psycho.  He fits in nicely with me
and the other five.  He still nips, but now it's in play.  Being a silver,
his nips are a bit harder than the five sables.  And I have this tremendous
urge to pinch his cheeks.  They're so chunky!

I mentioned a while back I was interested in adopting a fert who was 5 lbs
or larger (big, not just fat).  Does anyone know where I can find a furry
that size (or larger)?

Have a great one

Lise and Domi, Meisha, Nonnie, Sully, Stacia and Dante