From:
David Weinreb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 09:14:28 -0400
>From:    Finder Longsorrow <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Ferret Relocation
>Whatever an individual's reason for seeking a better home for their
>ferrets I would much rather have them feel comfortable coming to the FML
>to do it than finding a quieter way (e.g., the dog pound, the woods, or
>leaving them to pine away in a cage in the basement).

I agree with this.  My original point was two fold.  Research what it takes
to care for a ferret before you buy and don't dispose of your ferrets just
because you feel you don't have time for them.  An hour a day could be
enough.  My ferrets are out when we change the litter and when we clean the
cage.  We take them out for a quick hug in the morning before work, let them
out at night for a run and play, etc.  What you consider not enough time can
be enough for them.  Maybe a bigger cage or habitat would help.  SOME people
are too quick to dispose and need to reconsider.

>Giving people a hard time about this does nothing more than hurt feelings
>and discourage others from using the FML as a resource when such a difficult
>decision comes up.  Whether the animal was a beloved pet or an impulse
>purchase at least their owners are now responsible enough to try to find
>them a loving home.

True, but as stated above, some are TOO quick to dispose of a pet.  Just
because they are time-consuming is no reason to get rid of them.  You made
a commitment to that animal and you need to honor it.  Besides, if they are
ridding themselves of their ferrets, they will probably unsubscribe from
this forum.  My concern here is the well-being of the fuzzies, not a lazy
owner.  (AND NOT ALL OWNERS WHO DISPOSE OF THEIR FERRETS ARE IN THIS
CATEGORY).  If someone sees themselves in this post, more the better.