From:
Jason Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 08:32:08 -0600
I want to apologize in advance but I will not be doing anymore of Buddy's
story for a few days to a week.  My heart hurts to much to write more of
the story just now.

I picked up Sammy about 48 hrs ago.  He wasn't doing very well and then
about 12 hrs ago he finally decided that he was ready to go.  He would
swallow anything and his body temp dropped to 96 degrees.  I was able to get
the temp back up but then it would just fall again.  He had lost his ability
to regulate his body temp.

He started breathing hard and fast.  Then about 4 hrs before he left he
started trying to crawl up to my chest (as I had him on the heating pad) and
so I picked him up and laid him on my chest.  He lifted his head up and
placed his mouth on my mouth (our little way of a love kiss).  His head then
slid down my face and he just lay their panting.  I knew that he was saying
good-bye and he was getting ready to cross the bridge.  I decided that I was
going to go to the local vet in Columbus and was going to help his cross
because he was in obvious distress.  I used the Star Vet List to find one.
I drove to the vets office and got there about 7:30 a.m.  The vet office
didn't open until 8:00 but the vet tech came in early.  I went in and
arranged for Sammy to be helped across.  I was told that we would have to
wait until 10:00 when the vet came in because the vet tech was not
authorized to help a animal cross.  I went back to the truck and took Sammy
in my arms.  His breathing started coming slow and deep.  I started telling
him that it was ok for him to cross and go play with Tommy.  I told him that
I would miss him terribly but I wanted him to stop hurting and to go and
play.  Within 5 minutes after I started telling him to go find Tommy, he
whimpered, took about 5 more deep breaths, and then crossed to the bridge.

I was so blessed to be able to have him in my arms when he went.  He left
this world knowing that he was loved and that he did belong to a family.  I
will miss him more than words can say.

When I recover a little then I will be sending thank you's to all the people
that sent cards.  Thank you for your support of me and Sammy.

Sammy will be cremated and then put to rest in a beautiful little cemetery
that Dayna Frazier has in VA.  He will be with other pets that were all
loved beyond words.

Thanks again for your concern and love.

Jason Poole
(In Loving memory of Sammy)

P.S.  Just so you new people to the FML know, Doris and Buddy are very
healthy.  I know that sometimes it seems like all the ferrets in the world
are sick and dying.  Be assured that is not the case.  Just remember to
love and hug all your ferrets each day because our days with each of them
are all too limited.