From:
Pamela Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:29:45 -0400
I need some advise please

Io, my adrenal ferret ( surgery finally next week!) was brought to the vet
yesterday as she apparently had an allergic reation to something.

Umm, the vet figured it was allergy related as her poor tongue was very
swollen and purple.  Normally he would have given her a cortizone shot but
as it could affect her adrenal he didn't want to risk it with the upcoming
surgery.  Instead he gave her a benadryl shot.

A few minutes after arriving home Io threw up alot x2 and was really out of
it.  I did call the vet who didn't think her vomitiong was a result of the
shot but it seems like too much of a coincidence.  She had the allergic
thing all day and hadn't thrown up until the shot.

Has anybody else had benadryl shots for their ferrets and has anybody had
any reactions?  I'm afraid to give her more benadryl as I'm not convinced
that it wasn't the cause of her being sick, and she still has a swollen
tongue.  (boy ferrets have long tongues!) Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pamela  with DiDi & Io
Pamela   with DiDi & Io