From:
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:08:22 -0700
>From:    Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bob C: Question for Experienced Breeder
>The question is, does anyone have practical experience with housing multiple
>hobs together when they are not in rut?  Is the extreme territorial behavior
>directly tied to rutting, or does it exist regardless of sexual condition.

In most males its tied to rut.  Not all.  In some males even being in rut
doesn't prevent "room-mates".  Not all males that are fine together at
some points are fine with different males.  We have some sable boys that
could no longer remain with their mutt brother.  The sables got along but
tortured (one way to put it) their brother.  Swedes in particular seem to
be far more amenable to co-resident males at any time.

Most need solitary lives while in rut.
Most do not need solitary lives while out of rut.

But the females are in the same rooms so it doesn't fully answer your
question.

>I know what the literature says

Yeah...  <chortle>

>From:    Bill May <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Article of interest
>Just thought some of you may be interested in this article I came across on
>PETA's homepage:
>
>Marshall Farms' Dirty Secret

Oh no not again...

Marshall sold research ferrets before they sold pet ferrets.  What secret?
We have strong feelings represented on the FML on both sides of that issue.

We also have strong feelings on both sides of whether Peta is good or bad
for animals.

Two discussions that will not get resolved on the FML.

The fire was an accident.  Accidents happen.  Horrible that ferrets lost
their lives.  Marshall certainly didn't want to have a portino of their
business destroyed.  Not much to do about that.

Nobody really likes everything Marshall Farms does.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]