Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 08:41:30 -0700
Hi!!!!!!!!

This is my first time writing to the FML - I discovered its existence
only a few days ago and think it is great!!!!!

We adopted two bouncy seven month old ferret boys in mid March after the
sudden passing of our precious miss Millie (real name: Maleficent - you
know, the evil fairy in Sleeping Beauty!) on March 7th.  That can be a story
for a later date, though.  We got our boys from Beggars and Thieves ferret
shelter in Plano, TX, run by Patricia Israelson.  She was wonderful and let
us spend as long as we wanted choosing our new babies and showed us many of
her personal charges including one cuddly eight year old.  Our boys Clint
and Arnold (names were Scooter and Pongo, but after the first bath episode,
that just didn't fit - I found out just how strong a mad ferret can be!!!!!)
have been doing wonderful in their new home, running their new parents
ragged and stealing everything in sight.  Arnold is the worst thief, having
an affinity for cardboard boxed and anything in plastic bags.  Anyway, we
discovered our boys had some unwanted guests hiding in their fur lately,
although I'm not sure where they picked them up- they rarely ever go
outside(too hot here in Texas!) and are almost always on the concrete if
they do.  I wanted to know if anyone has used any of the flea treatments
like Program, Advantage or Frontline on their ferrets with any success and
of course without harm to the ferrets!!!  I have seen no contra-indications
yet on any of the web sites I have explored, but I would feel more
comfortable with personal experiences.  Also, what's best to treat the
bedding and other areas with to kill even more of the nasty fleas?  Would
appreciate any input!!!  :^)

On a side note, Clint is quite a bit thinner than big boy Arnold (although I
think Clint is the boss of the house) and has had intermittent loose stools,
some rather mucoid.  He appears fine otherwise, running like a madman and
jumping and attacking anything that moves, including our legs!  How common
are parasites like tapeworms in ferrets, and what is the recommended
treatment?  Any other possible causes?  I don't think Clint has gained much
weight since March, and looks thinner than he was when we got him because he
shed his gorgeous, silky winter coat.  Just for added info, Clint is
handsome Sable and Arnold is a Blaze (and seems to be deaf).

Bye for now!!!    Kevin and Laura and the boys