From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:21:34 -0400
Have been having a bit of a time trying to adjust meds for the
cardiomyopathy worsening of the little Organic Helicopter.  As you know,
they don't really seem to feel their cardiomyopathy itself much except for
tiredness except when the ascites or some other symptoms get worse.  Of
course, if they push themselves too much (like in a really good playtime --
which still happen even in advanced cardiomyopathy though they sleep more
and more, and are increasingly more quiet most of the time as the disease
advances) they can water-balloon up.  That's why we encourage quieter forms
of entertainment in this disease when possible wiht a given individual.
'Chopper gets abdominal fluid problems far more easily now -- balloons up
fast.  She needs higher levels of Furosemide (Now trying 0.45 ml, three
times each day -- going to 0.5 for several courses when she blows herself up
by playing too hard.) Our own personal experiences through the years make us
think that although in many ways cardiomyopathy is much harder to nurse (for
the humans involved) than the cancers we've dealt with, it sure is easier
for the ferrets until the final stages because the aspects which cause
discomfort can be controlled so well with medicines.  It's just that it
requires a lot of vigilance and adjustments, so, yes, I have my hands full
and am behind on everything else.

'Choppie is at a point where we might have to try increasing her Digoxin,
so please, hope that she can tolerate it this time.  She is having to be on
a less than optimal amount of Digoxin because her body just didn't like the
higher levels and acted ill with it and acted quite uncomfortable.  The
result was that we tried a lower dose to try to optimize quality of life
rather than quantity in her case.  Let's all hope I'm wrong, but her
cardiomyopathy (which is not of the usual hyperplasic form, but is a subset
of hypertropic) seems to have advanced enough that she is at the juncture
where we will soon have to talk about either increasing the Dig and hoping
she will tolerate it because it would not be fair if she doesn't tolerate
it, or getting a mercy shot, or limping the other meds and treatments along
till that's just not possible -- with loads more of fine tuning -- basically
the same thing we are doing but more intensely knowing each day might bring
the worst, or... (Maybe the consulting cardiologists will have another
idea?).  Her heart is now inefficient enough that circulation in her tail
and rear legs is bad so we are massaging the blood through many times each
day or her legs become straight, stiff pokers which is not fair to her and
which seem uncomfrotable.  Fortunately, at this point massage works and she
likes it so she is reacting like it's just extra attention she should be
having.

I have to start adjusting Steve emotionally to the level of her illness.

Yesterday her stools became loose so we are quite worried that her
helicobacter may be flaring again with this latest ratchet of worsening.
Hope it's not that; vet is deciding if she should come in tonight or what
right now.  There's a real question for Steve and I at this point if it
would be fair to submit her the medical routine needed to control
helicobacter if her heart is too far compromised, though it might be that
doing so might also let her adjust better to her other medical routines and
needs so then it would be fair and beneficial.  maybe we should talk about a
new ultrasound.  We've got to be troublesome and place some real weight on
Hanan's (our vet's) capable shoulders by going with his best bet.  He's an
excellent vet.  It's a burden, though.  Hanan swears that half the kisses
he's gotten in his lifetime come from 'Choppie.  Kissing is her favorite
pastime and always has been -- she will kiss non-stop for 45 minutes.  Steve
and I will pass her from one to the other so that we don't get sore lips.
She is such a sweet, scruffy old lady.  Poor thing never has been truly well
ever since she had ECE 1 and 1/4 years ago, yet she enjoys life and still is
resepected and cherished by everyone here.  Once -- and ONLY once -- Ashling
tried to displace her during this illness and all the other ferrets which
were out ganged up on Ashling even before I could get to her.  Since then
even Ashling cossets her.

Anyway, if I don't have time for someone or something you know why, okay?

UPDATE: just spoke with Hanan before this could be mailed.  'Chopper is
going to have a new ultrasound.  That will let us know just what levels of
damage are currently in the heart and will determine how things are handled.
The person is already expected to come in to do ultrasounds this week.  If
her stools worsen she'll be on a gentler antibiotic such as amoxi till she's
been looked at that way.

Thanks for letting me unload.  I become more efficient when I can get this
off my chest now and then, so then I am better able to nurse her.

Sukie