From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:44:35 -0400
Thank you to Michael Janke for posting who Rebecca Robinson was:
>Rebecca was so full of joy in her recent posts about the wonderful
>outdoor pen that her husband built for their ferret plus the 18 new kits
>she recently took in.

I went to the fml archives and copied a few of Rebecca's recent posts
<http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html>
You will recognize Rebecca's joyous spirit right away...Life is so precious
and so fragile...

Mon May 4
Hi all, After several attempts to find a ferret club in central Illinois, I
have decided to try to start one.  The first meeting will be an informal
one, as I'm going to incorporate an outing in the park.

The first meeting will be held on May 16th, In Decatur Nelson Park.  The
small pavillion near the swimming pool will be the meeting place.  We can
wander through the sunken Flower garden from there. ...

Tues May 5
Hi all, This is short, because I don't have much time... Dodger is no longer
a single ferret.  He and I were given 18 kits to love.  They are from 4-5
different litters, and range from albino to cinnamon, and 7-8 weeks based on
their teeth.  They have all named themselves now, and are recovering nicely
from the neglect they had been subjected too.  None of them are for
adoption, my husband says we're keeping them all !!!!  <Really BIG Grin>

Wed, 6 May
...I have been adopted by 18 additions to our family. I've actually had
them for a week now, and we're still adjusting to our expansion.  Three
days ago my husband, who gets out of bed about 30 minutes before I do,
opened the bedroom door to discover a PILE of 14 or 15 kits sound asleep
right outside the door.  Since I was still sound asleep, he thought he'd
let the kits wake me up.

He proceed to carefully pick up the kits and put them in the waterbed with
me, of course under the quilts.  I was awakened quickly by tunneling kits,
tickling whiskers, and of course the "War dances" under the covers.  (what
a way to wake up...<G>)

I did the same thing to him this morning at 3:00am... Revenge IS sweet.

Wonderful Husband!
Thurs May 7
Hi all,
Bet you're all getting tired of my posts, but here's one I had to share.
With 19 fuzzies running all over the house my wonderful husband began
working outside.

He told me he was working on a foundation for a new garden shed (he lied).
and soon a 20 x 20 slab of concrete was poured cured and sealed.  Shortly
after that, the wierdest looking metal frame was installed on it.
Yesterday, panels of 1/2-inch plexiglass were attatched to the framing.
the walls are 48-inches tall, opaque (almost clear), with a door in one
side.  While I was inside working, all of my fuzzies started dissappearing.
When it got toooo quiet, I started looking for them all (I know most of
their hiding places).  When I couldn't locate any of my babies, the panic
set in.  I stepped outside to get help.

There under a shade tree was a permanent outdoor ferret pen, with all my
babies in it exploring.  My wonderful husband had put a dog igloo in the
center.  had installed a gravity fill water container, a large food dish,
and a raised shade screen (high enough for me to walk under comfortably).
Of course he had placed a park bench and table for me, and some of the
hundreds of ferret toys I now have.  He also had rigged up party lights on
the awning, and placed a large litterbox in too.

What a wonderful thoughtful gift he has given me and the babies.  A place
outdoors, room to romp and play, and a chance for me to clean house (ha ha
ha) while my son supervises the kits.

I just wanted everyone to know how special my husband was, and to let
everyone know that the kits and we are adjusting very well.

Hugs and dookety-dooks
Rebecca and the gang

Wed May 13
Just a short post to let you all know that RIKKI crossed the rainbow bridge
this morning at 10:00am.

She woke up unable to move, and was crying (she had a small lump on her neck
when I got her on Monday).

It was a tumor that was attatched to her spinal column at the base of her
skull.  It was cancerous.

It was not operable.

My vet and I agreed to put her to sleep, and amid tears, and holding her
and petting her, I watched her drift away.

She died peacefully in my arms, and was buried in our pet cemetary on the
farm.  My husband planted a lilac bush behind her grave because she loved
the smell of them, and would hide in them when she was outside.

I had her such a short time, but she was a loving gentle ferret.  I will
miss her very much, and the lost time we could have had.  The only comfort
I have from my loss is knowing she is playing with new friends and waiting
for me on the other side of the bridge....