Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:51:44 EDT
Hello FMLers,

Again, to simply clear up any confusion about AB 363, here's what I wrote
someone who asked about it.  Chairman of committees can and have prevented
bills they don't like from moving in committee according to our lobbyist.
My sincere hope of course is that our bill comes up for a hearing, since I
believe we can pass this committee.

The main danger is believing it is a given when it is not is that people
won't put pressure on their State Senators, particularly members of that
committee, to see that AB 363 has a chance to be heard.

Jeanne

Hello Marie,

I asked Bob Naylor who has been in this business for over 20 years,
currently as a lobbyist, and previously as both an Assemblyman and as State
Party Chairman, if it were possible for a bill to not come up for a hearing
because a chairman doesn't like it and he said definitely, that is has
happened before, and could happen again.  Jan has also said the same thing.
That's not to say that this will happen to our bill but discounting that
possibility is simply not the truth.

The simple fact is that the bill should come up, the committee is talking
about August (which, by the way, they've been talking about for well over a
month) that is the fair thing, and we certainly hope it does come up, but
anything can happen according to Bob Naylor and its important for people to
continue to put pressure on their State Senators to have this bill heard and
to not assume anything is a given.

Jeanne