From:
Kate Pappas Rainier Beach Public Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 16:42:54 -0700
for Samantha-

I think some ferrets just react to these toys.

Two ferrets recently adopted me, and one of them gave me a BIG surprise when
I squeaked the same toy I'd used to summon two other ferrets who owned me in
the past before they went to the Rainbow Bridge.

Here's what happened with the new guys:

One of them came happily running up to look for a treat.  The other came out
in a fury, charged me, and promptly attached himself to my wrist, where he
commenced to chomp and chew and worry and bite--and I knew it had to be due
to the toy, since this guy is an absolute gentle sweet lovey-boy.

After I detached him and put the toy away, and cuddled and hugged him, he
became his usual affectionate little self and kissed me.  It was the toy.
Who knows what that sound symbolized to him?

We have not used that toy ( a squeaky plastic pencil) since.

I found a different toy--a little toy ferret with a gentle squeaker inside,
not a harsh loud one--and we spent a lot of time "practicing" with the
gentle squeaker.  I'd squeak it once or twice and when he came running,
ready to attack, I showed him the toy and scooped that little bub up and
gave him a treat, before he could bite me.

It's a little over a month later now, and he is fine with the new toy and
also when I whistle for him and his brother to come here.

Does your ferret get upset if you jingle keys or rattle a baby-rattle?  Or
put some ferret-food in a little container, shake that, and then when he
comes running give him a crunchy?  How is he if you shake a crinkly plastic
bag or a paper sack?

Perhaps you can figure out another way to call him.  I think some ferrets
just don't work well with the usual squeaky-toys.

Best of success to you, and please let us all know how it ultimately works
out!  Extra-special love to your new little friend, who is fortunate to
finally be in a home where he's loved and appreciated.  When I think of what
life must have been like for some of our fuzzbeans before, it makes me want
to cry.

Keep us posted!

Kate, presently owned by Madison (our "Scooter" guy) and Monty (our
"Sweetie" guy who made Mom retire that loud squeaky pencil thing)