Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 06:17:10 -0500
From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Yes, even I have questions from time to time.  Here's one for you
experienced ferret breeders to answer for me.

We are all aware of the dangers of allowing whole hobs access to each other
while they are in season.  They can become quite territorial and attempt
(and succeed) in harm each other during their seasonal rut.

The question is, does anyone have practical experience with housing multiple
hobs together when they are not in rut?  Is the extreme territorial behavior
directly tied to rutting, or does it exist regardless of sexual condition.

I know what the literature says, and I have lots of practical experience
in other mustelid species, but since I am not a ferret breeder and my
unneutered ferret experiences are limited to a total of four male hobs, it
is probably not representative of an overall pattern of behavior.

From my limited experience, as well as from theory, housing hobs together
shouldn't be much of a problem if 1) there are no nearby jills in heat, 2)
they have been introduced when sexually off-season, and 3) the hobs are
not rutting.

I have been many places where hobs are never housed or allowed to play
together for fear of severe injury, but most also had jills in attendance
as well, so the potential problems have not been well controlled from a
cause and effect standpoint.

So, anyone with real experience in this matter?

Bob C and 19 Fur-its (Missing Simon)