Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:57:29 -0400
From:
Adam & Nicole Hilliard <[log in to unmask]>
Hi!

Adam (my husband) and I have taken in a foster ferret on behalf of the
Ferret Aid Society.  We named him Ouzo.  Ouzo has adrenal gland disease
and is about 3 or 4 years old.  Since we've had him, some of his hair is
starting to grow back on his tail and he doesn't seem to be losing as much
on his back.  I'm attributing this to the better quality food he's been
eating.

I've been reading about adrenal gland disease to try to be better informed
and take care of Ouzo better.  One article mentioned that osteoporosis can
often result from the disease due to the decrease in blood salt.  I was
wondering if anyone knew if Pediolyte could help here.  It is salty and
gives nutrients needed to not be dehydrated (putting salt back into the
body to keep water levels ok).  Has this worked for anyone?

Also, I read that the ferrets muscle mass often deteriorates in prolonged
cases.  I've noticed that Ouzo sometimes drags his back feet.  He can't jump
up anywhere nor can he stand up on his haunches.  He stays in our bedroom so
we can keep an eye on him (especially since our other ferrets seem to pick
on him because he can't get away).  Is there any type of excercise I can
help him do to increase the muscle mass.

If anyone has any ideas or info about the disease to help I'd really
appreciate it.  Our shelter just can't afford this surgery right now
especially since Ouzo is the second ferret with adrenal disease.  Neither
can we for that matter.

Ouzo loves to snuggle but seems to sleep too much.  How can i keep him
active?  We got him from Etobicoke Animal control and he's very definitely a
stray.  We could tell this from his nails which were in really !!!  bad
shape.  So bad that his little fingers were starting to bend in different
directions.  Can any homeopathic treatments help or at least slow down the
progress of the disease?

Thanks in advance.

Nicole (foster mom to Ouzo, real mom to Oz and Merlin- aka ankle
vampire)