Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 00:46:08 EDT
From:
Maggie Mae <[log in to unmask]>
Hey Everyone,

Wanted to give everyone a couple of things to think about here.

First of all, if the pet stores are using the ferret groups/shelters to make
themselves look good, don't you think it could be said that the ferret folks
are using the pet stores to get THEIR names out in the community?  It is a
two way street.

As for the tax write off for pet food donated.  They could just claim a loss
in the merchandise and toss it.  Instead, they store it and get ahold of
folks.  And as far as the dump fee goes, well, the fees are per dumpster.
If they are throwing away enought to make a sizable dent in that capacity,
then I don't see how they make money anyways.  Hell, for that matter, they
could say it was dumped and the employees take it home for their own
animals.

some folks are not going to adopt an older ferret.  Period.  They want kits.
Period.  And those folks you aint' going to change.

BTW, since the evil Petco has stopped selling dogs, cats, and bunnies, has
this reduced in any manner the number of dogs, cats, and bunnies being
rescued from owners?  Why do you think that folks will be more responsible
for a dog they pay $40 dollars for at an animal pound than one they pay
$200 for at a store?

And I agree, you are never going to get pet stores to stop selling pets.
And even if you did, do you think it would put all the animal shelters out
of business?  Nope, not by a long shot.  You would then still have backyard
breeders, who could get away with selling even worse quality animals because
they don't have to worry with quality control for the stores as much.  And
folks who think little Susie needs to see the cat or dog or ferret give
birth, it is such a natural thing to do.  We do not need to yell at pet
stores, breeders, etc.  We need to educate pet owners.  Period.

And once pet owners are well educated, then they will get upset at the laws
around the country here and change things.  Because then they will see how
it infringes on their personal rights.  And that is the only thing that will
get folks off their butts.

And I know for a fact that the Petco in South County St.  Louis does have
vet visits.  I have the name of said vet.  Pet stores usually have vet
visits, because the vets work out a deal.  They go and take care of the pet
store animals, and then the pet store hands out a certificate for a free
office visit when they sell the animal.  And vets want healthy animals going
out of the store, it reflects on them.

Sorry, to me bashing the pet stores and refusing to work with them is
actually something that would make the situation worse, not better.  And it
is right up there with calling Marshall Farms names and the government in
California.  We don't like you, so we well yell about how evil you are and
then make sure we can never influence you at all.  Very constructive.  Do we
need a reality check here?

maggie Mae, on the litter box once again