Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 21:38:55 -0400
From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
I've owned ferrets for 12 years and last year when Bumper got his rabies
shot (it was his second), he had a reaction (vomited within 15 minutes and
took a fairly long time to settle down).

This year I went to a different vet and they got the rabies and distemper
at the same time (in different locations).  Bumper was pre-treated with a
shot of Benedryl.

First, the distemper shots hurt -- I wondered if they still had some FerVac
that had the old dilutant (ascorbic acid).  I'd bought FerVac then and ended
up throwing out the rest of it, they cried so much.  Katie was so unhappy
she peed all over the place!  I've never seen my ferrets react like this to
shots!  Even the rabies shots made them chitter and cry!  I wondered if the
alcohol wasn't dry enough????  I've vaccinated myself and never had such
reactions.

Then, Bumper once again started throwing up.  He threw up all over the
inside of the carrier they were in (boy did those ferrets want out!  I don't
blame them!).  The staff wasn't very concerned until I brought him to the
front desk and let him throw up right in front of them <evil grin>.  Then
*Max* threw up!  Then Katie threw up!  O_O Talk about a harrowing
experience!  I just don't know what happened here.  I have the serial number
of the FerVac -- I was considering calling United and asking if that batch
had the old dilutant or something.

I got them all home and Max and Katie vomitted some more, but didn't *act*
ill.  I reluctantly left for a meeting (told my husband what to do if they
got worse --go to the vet!) and when I came back, someone had had bloody
diarrhea.  Thank god, that was the end of it, but I'm still unhappy.

I really liked the vet -- he's very knowledgable and is only 15 minutes from
my house.  I don't know what I want to do next year.  The staff (and at
least one of the vets) said it might have been due to stress.  We were taken
45 minutes late (due to an emergency), it took forever with 6 ferrets, they
were extremely busy and it took forever to check me out.  What do you all
think?  Have you ever seen ferrets vomit due to stress?  I've never had it
happen, but they *were* there a long time.

Anyway, everyone seems fine now. Mom is a little worn, but the babies are
doing fine.

--Barb--