Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:44:51 +0000
From:
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Greetings and Hallucinations!

This past Sunday I got a call from Pet Supplies Plus, they have an 8 week
old female MF ferret that is having problems.  The home office wouldn't
authorize another vet visit.  They said ship her back to Marshal Farms.
Could I help.

I told them I would take her, but she becomes a part of the shelter, and I
will find her a home.  They had no problem with that.  So I picked her up,
she seemed fine to me.  Took her home.  Mild urinary tract infection
according to the vet's tests.  No problem.  We handled it.

Mean while, Pat at Pet Supplies Plus, Middleburg Hts.  Ohio calls Marshall
Farms, and told them about the little kit, and they gave it to a local
ferret shelter, Ferrets Unlimited.  Marshall told her to have me give them a
copy of the vet bill, and to reimburse me the vet costs.  Forward the bill,
and they will reimburse the store for the bill.

What a surprise!  Has anyone else had that experience with them?

Second - this happened awhile ago (3 - 4 weeks) I had an old female ferret
who decided she wanted out of her cage badly!  She broke her upper canine
off, but it was still attached by the nerve and a part of the tooth was
still in the gum line.  Off to the vet, she had the tooth pulled, and then
came time for the bill, I had expected a $50 to $60 bill, considering this
was done on an emergency basis, and she had to be knocked out - she wouldn't
let anyone near her mouth.

Here was another surprise !  The total from the bill was $3.00!!!!  The
receptionist had informed me that they receive a couple of checks to be put
towards my shelter's vet bills.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

I know one was from the SOS fund, and to the second person, I greatly
appreciate it.

Now, I got home today, and found a package in the mail box.  Whenever there
is a package addressed to the shelter I act like a kid on Christmas.  In it
was a large beautiful hammock (greatly appreciated - they seem to get worn
out quickly here - does any other shelter seem to have the same problem) and
toys!  I ran upstairs to the shelter room and rotated the kids, and gave
them the toys.  What a joy.  They ignored the old ones, and all the kids
played with the new ones.  Now I have to find them all.  Thank you Pam V.

I wish everyone could know what it means to every shelter that receives a
donation of a hammock, a toy, a dollar or some of your time.  It helps each
one of us realize that we are not alone.  Though some days it is difficult.
Those days there are sick kids to care for, and unending incoming ferrets
with no adoptions, the days it seems you'll never get to catch up with the
litter boxes, ferret laundry, let alone the human laundry or the house work.

There are smaller shelters than I (currently I can house up to 35 shelters -
and get some sleep) and shelters larger than I.  But I would like to ask
each person on behalf of all the shelters, take an hour or two of your week,
and go help.  Change litter boxes, give meds, or just play with the ferrets
while the shelter operator does the boxes.  Or help the shelter operator
organize a closet, a desk, any thing that may need organized.

I had a lady come over this past Friday, she volunteered to help do litter
boxes.  She picked up poop, played with fuzzies and swept the ferret room
floor, dumped litter boxes, I scraped the difficult spots and disinfected
litter boxes and the floor.

It was so nice to have help.  I don't think anyone but a shelter operator
would understand what a wonderful that gift of time was.

Thanks to all for helping the shelters continue.  If it weren't for you we
would have a very difficult road to walk, it helps to know others care.

Jean & The Zoo Crew
Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter
Home of:  Phoenix, Trooper, Melt Down, II
(and a WHOLE corporation of other ferrets)