Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:47:17 -0400
From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
--On Thu, Jul 9, 1998 1:02 PM -0400 NCFS <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I just got off the phone with the health commisioner for Ashtabula
>County, Ohio. They have adopted new regulations concerning dogs, cats
>and ferrets.
..
>The health commisioner told me that he feels ferrets are like a wild
>animal and any strays that have bitten or scratched an individual will in
>all likelyhood be euthanized and tested.  He also stated that any
>quarentine for a ferret would be 30 days instead of the 10 required for
>dogs and cats.  This is because he feels more studies have been done on
>dogs and cats than on ferrets and that the shedding period is not known.
..
>TLE, Linda, Sukie? Can one of you send him the actual results of the
>studies and the facts and figures concerning ferrets and rabies?

I am faxing a copy of the letter Dr. Kathleen Smith of the Ohio Department
of Health sent to all local health departments last November, as well as the
1998 Compendium.  My cover letter will suggest he contact Dr. Smith for more
information.

At home I have a copy of a memo from Dr. Suzanne Jenkins that summarizes
changes in the Compendium and details the results of the many shedding
studies done on ferrets.  I'll fax that tomorrow.

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter West
"The Raisin Retreat"
Oberlin, Ohio