Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 02:19:09 -0700
From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Y2K
Y2K.  This is coming more into focus as we approach closer to it.  As
you may know, Y2K stands for Year 2K or 2,000.

Is it important?  It may very well be, because its effect on ferret
shelters may mean the possible death of all of the ferrets in shelters.

Is this sensationalism and prophesizing doom and gloom?  Yep, on both
counts.

Let me paraphrase from a publication I received today.  This is not an
exact quote, so I'm not enfringing on copyrights.  [Moderator's note:
It could infringe on copyrights even if it's not an exact quote, though
press releases aren't likely to be a problem, as I understand it.  BIG]

U.S. Senator Robt. Bennet's press release June 9th 98, to wit:  THE
MILLENNIUUM BUG - CAUSE OF THE NATIONS POWER GRID FAILING, A HEARING.
Senate Committee on the Year 2000 Technology Disaster.

Senator B. Bennet (R-Utah), chairman.  Senator C. Dodd (D-CT), vice
chairman.  New Senate Committee on Y2K, first hearing -- preparadness of the
nation's utility industry will be addressed by committee members - utilities
ability to ensure continuous and uninterrupted power through the millennial
date change, can they do it?  Will brown-outs and black-outs affect the
social well-being of this country?  What are utility industries doing to
become Y2K compliant and will it make any difference regardless of what
they do?

The press release issued by Senator Bennett implies the possible collapse
of Western civilization.

The above is paraphrased (not directly quoted) from Vol.  25, No. 7 dated
July 3, 1998 of Remnant Review.

On or before Jan 01, 2000, there may be no electricity, no water, no sewer,
no gas or gasoline, no phones, no trucking, trains or airplanes, no food
and total anarchy.  Your survival may depend upon your possessing an AK47
and 2500 rounds of ammo.

In a situation as bad as this may become, how are you ferret shelter
operators going to take care of the ferrets in your charge?  How much
food (both human and ferret), water, litter, garbage bags, medications,
etc. are you going to store in preparation for the coming millennium
fiasco?  What are you going to do with the garbage.  It won't be
collected.  Where are you going to go to the bathroom?  What are you
going to do with human and ferret waste?  How are you going to survive
freezing temperatures when there is no heat?  How are you going to get
enough to eat, for yourself as well as your ferrets?

Are we going to wait until the last minute before we take action because
we don't believe (don't WANT to believe) that anything like I've
described above can possibly happen?

You better start thinking about it.  I hope I'm wrong as hell on this
one, but there's that other possibility.  How are we going to take care
of ourselves and our ferrets during this potentially disruptive period?
And nobody knows how long it's going to last.

Edward Frettchenvergnuegen Lipinski