Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:24:49 -0400
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
My note to Ulrike bounced so here it is:

Hi, Ulrike!

Lasix = Furosemide.  There are oral solid, oral liquid, and injectible
forms.  With bad ascites it can be a good idea to get an injection to bring
down levels and then readjust the dosing.  Doses have to be readjusted all
through the extent of the illness.  This med can be given up to three times
a day and doses last in the body for 7 hours.  'Chopper began at 0.1 ml/
twice each day, and has had several increases, now being at 0.3 ml/ three
times a day.  Meltdown had level WAY beyond what were thought to be the
maximum tolerated, and a conversation by our vet with folks at the AMC
(Animal Mendical Center -- one of the three existing ferret veterinary books
comes from the people there with whom that conversation was held) last week
indicates that they have now had ones which have had doses well beyond what
Meltdown ever had.  Basically, there's NO known upper limit for it by
species, just by what an individual will tolerate.

Once you are giving high levels you need to supplement potassium, but not
too much because it's dangerous in high amounts.  We have a blood test for
levels now and then and we dose according to symptoms -- it IS guesswork.
Early on banana pieces will give enough potassium.  When a ferret is beyond
that we look for a salt substitute for heart patients.  Don't know names in
Wales for these, but we use NuSalt.

There are also some other diuretics which do not deplete potassium, but
Furosemide seems to be the best for 'Choppie:
>One thing we've added which may benefit your ferret is spironolactone, a
>potassium-sparing diuretic that acts at a different place in the kidney
>than furosemide.  Our ferret is now getting 3 mg twice daily, and it seems
>to be helping.  Our guestimated starting dose was 1 mg per pound once
>daily, then raise to twice daily if needed.  You use this in addition to
>all the other stuff.

Oh, Spot's made progress with the rest of his fur balls and may be able to
avoid surgery.  Poor "baby" had so much gas in his sore intestine from this.

Sukie