From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 20:58:41 EDT
Hello all - just have to respond to a couple of posts.....Dani Lucking
>Subject: cool Southern ferrets
>I just find it interesting that so many posts every year on keeping ferrets
>cool in summer.  I am a Southerner and to many people who stereotype, I
>must be a backwards hillbilly with a family tree that doesn't fork, but I
>HAVE AIRCONDITIONING!!!

Hey Dani - I am a Southern gal too and can remember the days Before Air
Conditioning when I was a child.  Think we had one of the first window units
invented and central A.C.  went into our house as soon as it was available.
All of my life I have lived in air conditioned homes and all of my cars,
save for first few, have air conditioning.  Could not live without it!  Can
still remember miserable summer days on one of the other of my grandparents
farms.  One in Manassas - now Dale City a large housing sub-division - had
a lot of woodland where I spent most of my time because it was cooler.
Odd, but I can only remember the summer there!

Last summer when our A.C.  suddenly went on the blip during a heat wave; I
called for repair.  I was told it would take a couple of days.  I whined
that it was an emergency since I had ferrets and ferret kits who could not
take the heat.  Was I surprised when the repairman showed up about an hour
later!  Turned out that he was a ferret owner himself and considered my call
a true emergency.  God bless him.

For those who do not have A.C., there are a number of window units available
that are quite small and quite inexpensive.  Please check out-lets such as
Wal-Mart, K-Mart and others and try to get one for your fuzzies.  Also,
check the classifieds - often people are selling window units that are very
cheap --- just check to make sure it works.  Another source is Pawn Shops.
I just called several and found one did have several window units.  This is
a killer summer - all our fuzzies should be enjoying AC.  Not a luxury - a
necessity.

For Rick Roller: I can well understand your anguish and grief over loosing a
jill too long in season.  This tragedy should never have happened.  You
blame the breeder, but how do you know the breeder did not have a contract
that ferrets must be spayed?

Unfortunately, so called "back yard breeders" get a black-eye for those
breeders who do not care.  I am a breeder and more of a "back bedroom
breeder".  I care about my ferrets.  And I care about who has my babies.
And I care about how they are treated.  My ferrets are required to have
ample free time out, floored and preferably carpeted cages, soft comfy
hammocks and bedding.  Top grade food mix that includes Totally Ferret and
Innova.  Real chicken and meat.  And, of course, spaying or neutering.
Breeders cannot police every new owner, but most of us do keep in contact
and follow up on how are ferrets are doing.  I love Christmas because that
is when I usually get pictures of my "grand-children".  As some here from
whom I order hammies and sleep sacks and bedding, etc.  can attest - I dower
my kits when they leave me.  I want to be sure they are comfortable in their
new homes.

Yes, inappropriate owners sneak in once in a while no matter how carefully
a breeder screens - but that is mostly the exception, not the rule.
Furthermore, most all the breeders I know and in this area are deeply
caring people.  I breed ferrets because I love them.  I don't know if I can
give ferrets longer lives - but I know that I can give them a good start
and produce healthy young ferrets for ferret lovers.  And I am not alone -
other breeders do too.  We certainly are not doing it for the money.  There
is no profit for the small breeder who gives quality care and nutritional
support for their litters.

Cheers, Meg
P.S.  O.K.  so I also color coordinate their bedding and things for the
rooms!