From:
Damon Hudac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:36:50 -0400
A thought occured to me this weekend, and that is somewhere back in the
evolutionary history of ferrets, mice and other small rodents comprised a
large portion of their diet.  Now a few years ago, I had a fish tank with
some rather large fish, and my fish loved nothing more than when I would
put a few goldfish in the tank for them as a special snack.

I would like to give Roy, my ferret a similar treat, but I'm worried about
possible dangers of feeding him a mouse once in a while as a special
surprise.

Do I need to worry about the mouse bones wreaking havoc in Roy's digestive
tract?  I guess I am worried about the same problems that arise when you
give a dog a chicken bone.  Should I worry about this, or are live mice
once in a while a safe treat for my little fuzzy?

Thanks for any info.

[Moderator's note: Some of this is mentioned in Bob Church's series on
ferret nutrition.  Ask the server for DIET POSTS FERRET to get a copy.  BIG]