From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 18:28:06 -0400
If Petco has stopped selling cats, dogs, rabbits and iguanas, I think that
they could certainly be approached about not selling ferrets.

I think it's great that a lot of pet stores sponsor adoption and education
days for shelters.  They can help shelters and still make a profit on
selling pet supplies.  I really don't see how having an unlimited supply of
baby ferrets in pet stores benefits anyone.  People should have to go
through SOME amount of effort to adopt any animal.  Impulse buying doesn't
do anyone any good.

Also, if Petco adopts a national policy about not selling baby ferrets, I
wonder if other pet stores would follow suit?  Pet store people do talk
with each other.

I think it's worth pursuing to ask them not to sell baby ferrets.  I think
it should be done in some organized fashion, with both individuals and
organizations (especially shelters) being represented.

Something to brainstorm more about anyway.

Ronnie in Mass.