From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:02:42 EDT
Just an FYI, even if you have reservations for your ferret on the plane, it
is still discretionary, and you could be denied boarding with them at the
last minute if airline personnel feel they will be a nuisance to others (ie
they have just pooped and the gate or ticket agent smells it).  Also, when
booking you seat, keep in mind that window seats have far less room under
the seat in front of them then center and aisle seats, and bulkhead seats
have no seat in front of them.  I don't think a carrier would fit under a
window seat.  One other note- the FAA states that only one animal may be
placed in each carrier, with a maximum of one carrier per owner, two
carriers per cabin segment.  So even if Delta is saying you can put two in
one carrier, you might be in for an unexpected suprise when you get to the
airport and someone who knows the rules is there at check-in.

Also, Karla asks about a softsided pet carrier.  It is called a Sherpa Bag,
specially designed for pets on airplanes by a former flight attendant.

The Killians Write:
>Are you perhaps meaning the LOS-NJ show where only altered ferrets could
>be placed?  But that is flawed as badly.

When you respond to Mr. Lipnski's rantings with misinformation, you simply
perpetuate the cycle.  The LOSNJ Show did not allow ANY ferrets to be
adopted, regardless of their alter/whole status or age.  This was for three
reasons.  First, in NJ a special permit is required for the sale or adoption
of ferrets.  The permit costs $100, takes months to issue and the penalties
for not having one are severe (up to a $2000 fine PER FERRET).  Having an
across the board policy meant that we didn't have to worry about F&G being
all over us.  Instead, we invited them to the show (they were there- in
street clothes BTW) and asked them to help us.  Worked very well to be a
compatriate rather than the enemy in their eyes.  Secondly, we simply do not
feel that a ferret show is an appropriate place for ferrets to change hands.
Thirdly, after last years show I got several calls from people who had
bought kits or adopted ferrets and were changing their minds, had questions,
etc.  Put a lot of onus on me for something I had no control over, and
frankly the $10 extra we charged for kit sales wasn't worth the several
months of phone calls about it.  It made me realize that *some* breeders and
shelters were not screening prospective buyers/adopters well enough, very
likely because it was at a show with so many other things going on at once.
This year we encouraged breeders and shelters to invite people to their
homes to meet their available ferrets.  I am not trying to get into a debate
with you over whether you agree with us or not, frankly I couldn't care less
what your opinion is.  I just want to get the facts straight.  BTW- it is
the Cincinatti Ferret Show that is allowing only altered ferrets for sale.
Thank you in advance for not giving out erroneous information about the
LOSNJ show (which you don't even attend) in the future.  If you wish to give
out futher information about our show, please verify it's accuracy first.

Baby Food as a Treat

We use lamb baby food, they seem to prefer it, and it is the easiest meat to
digest (pediatricians usually start babies on lamb as their first meat).  It
is certainly an acceptable treat to use even on a regular basis.

-Anne