From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 05:51:50 -0500
Q: "...what do you think are essential first aid supplies for a shelter?"

A: For the people or the ferrets?

Most pet handbooks have a good list, but here are some of the more unusual
things I've found useful one time or another.

1) A well-stocked, human-type first aid kit. Not for the ferrets. For me.

2) A hair dryer that has a setting that delivers 80-90F air at about a foot
distance.  This is not only for drying wet ferrets that are unable to handle
the stress of wet fur, but also for emergency warming for hypothermic
ferrets

3) A good scale that measures in grams.  Get with metrics, folks.  It is so
much easier to use, and grams show weight fluctuations much better than 1/4
ounces.  Weigh the beasties weekly, or daily if ill.  Weights will tell you
your ferret is ill, even before you notice other symptoms.

4) A reptile-style heating rock.  Most of these cannot get about 100F;
heating pads designed for people can overheat a ferret if not carefully
monitored.  I don't place a ferret on the heated rock; I wire the rock to
the top of the cage and allow the heat to radiate down.

5) Plastic pet carriers to isolate sick ferrets.  The plastic carrier can
be disinfected much easier than a wire cage, and the ferret can be moved
from room to room for ease of nursing.

6) A small oxygen bottle and correct water bubbler and tubing.  Easier to
transform a cage into oxygen tent rather than attempting to use masks.
However, the use of oxygen carries risks to the ferret, and can be
dangerous depending on the specific environment.  Please discuss the use
of oxygen with your vet before administering it.

7) A stethoscope.  Practice with it over and over until you know the
difference between the sound of a heart and intestinal gas.

8) A thumb counter.  One of those small metal types used to count people or
stuff.  I use it to count heartbeats; the ferret heart beats so fast that I
have a hard time counting it while keeping track of time, so I listen and
push the counter with each beat.  Makes it easy for me.

9) Cotton swabs.  I use them to rub honey/corn syrup on the gums.  Also
good for rubbing ointment on a sore bottom.  Also good, when lubricated,
for stimulating poopie when you need a sample by just inserting the tip
into the correct spot.

10) A good rectal thermometer.  For accuracy, go to the source.  Digital is
usually faster.

11) Small moustache or sideburn clipper.  Great to trim fur away from wounds
or for marking ferrets for identification.  Also quite good to remove gum,
tar, tree sap or paint from fur.

12) Flea comb and tick remover.  Yuuck.  I hate ticks.

13) Saran wrap.  Want to really restrain a ferret?  Use saran wrap instead
of a towel.  Place a few taut wraps about a hob, and it's instant ferret
sausage.  Best restraint I've found.  And looks really comical.

14) Zinc oxide and oil of clove.  Mixed together, makes a great temporary
filling for broken teeth.

15) Teat balm.  I like the balm in the green metal can with the cow on the
side.  Great stuff.  Cracked paw pads, sore rectums, nose cuts.  The stuff
is magic, and it can double as a gentle waterproofer as well.

16) Sandbag.  Make your own out of fine sand and finer cloth, about a foot
square.  Covered with a towel, it can be molded to a ferret's body and much
more useful in proping them up than towels.

18) Ice cream sticks.  Take a stick, snap it in half, put half on each side
of a broken limb, and use saran wrap to hold it all together.  Fantastic
splint in an emergency.

19) 14 guage needle and 50cc syringe.  File the sharp end *FLAT* then
disinfect.  Hook it to the syringe filled with sterile water, or a
water-peroxide mix, and you can use it as a high pressure hose to wash out
dirt or debris from wounds, clean eyes, or fake giving yourself a shot.

20) Pam (or other spray vegetable oil).  Spray the bottom of your litter box
or cage tray, and even dried poopie comes off with a wipe.  Makes cleaning
up the runs a cinch.  The secret to my clean cages, so don't tell anyone.

The rest of the FML should post their tricks as well.  What have I forgot
or didn't know?

Bob C and 19 MO Frolicin' Fuzzbutts (In memory of Simon)