From:
"Amy C. Dempsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:39:34 -0700
My Tryone unexpectedly slipped away from me yesterday morning.  He was being
himself the early the evening before, "bothering" the girls, following us
around the house.  But before bedtime when I feed him and the older girls
their special food he barely ate.  He just wasn't interested in the food.
Which is very unusual.  I've been watching him like a hawk since I lost
Trouble several weeks ago.  I've have been especially sensitive to his
pee-ing I've heard so much about blockages in the adrenal boys.

I became worried that maybe he was dehydrate, even though he didn't appear
to be, and he was pee-ing just fine.  I tried to sygrine feed him a little
Pedalyte which he would not have anything to do with.  So finally I ended up
putting it in my mouth and he would drink it off my lip (the things a mother
will do!) I just had a bad feeling about him, nothing specific.  I didn't
sleep well and at 5:30 am I found him very latharic and barely moving.  I
got him to drink a tiny bit more Pedalyte, and to lick a few drops of
Ferretive.  But all he want to do was lay there and not be bothered.  I sat
with him in their room for about an hour and then he got up and peed and
made little moaning noise when he peed.  He then laid back down.  And then
suddenly he had a muscular convulsion of his lower body and a small seisure
of his entire body and he just quit breathing and his heart stopped (we've
gotten a stethescope since Trouble), we tried CPR to no avail.

I can't believe I have lost him so quickly after Trouble.  He was his normal
self just the day before.  I was just starting to make plans to bring him up
to Florida in August to make a second attempt at adrenal surgery.

Tyrone was my sweetest, boy.  He was the kissing bandit.  You could stand up
and make kissing noises and he would climb you to get to your lips.  And he
never once even nipped anyone from the time he I got him.  I flew to Florida
and rescued he and his sister Nipper (yes she was a bad biter for the first
year) from an acquiance who was going to turn them loose when he was 4
months old!  Tryone would have been 6 years old in October.  The day I went
and got them in Florida my father died in the hospital in Puerto Rico (I was
gone 1 1/2 days), and when I was sitting on the bed crying when I heard the
news, both he and Nippers crawled up and curled up in my lap.  They never
ever did that again, but they just knew I needed them to be there!

With Tryone's passing I have now lost 3 ferrets to adrenal cancer, and
possibly a fourth, though we don't know what really happened to Cowboy but
he had all the adrenal symthoms.  I am now certian that I lost 2 of my older
girls to insulinoma.  Thank God for what I've learned from this list, for I
will be able to make informed decisions for my 9 kids who are still with me.
It really seems quite!  I've lost 3 since May, and last year I lost 4
relatively close together.  Its amazing Milo and Odie the two who started it
all are still going strong at 8 years old.

We've got to find a way to stop the high incidence of disease in these
wonderful animals!

My thought are with all of you with sick kids.  Give them all the love you
can!  I sure miss all my little guys who have slipped away.

Amy and her 9 fur snakes and 11 fur angels.