From:
Melanie Figueredo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 12:30:16 -0400
Please bare with me....I have a very sick ferret.  He was brought to a
place with other ferrets... never came in contact with any of them but
was touched.

4 days later my girl who was also there but not touch threw up.  That same
night Rosco was very dehydrated.  Pretty much went limp in my arms.  He
stayed the night and the next day at the vet.  Both those ferrets passed a
green watery stool with white seed stuff in it.  I have 3 altogether.
Cailey and the other boy, Buster have had some strange stool but I think
it's fine now.  They sleep very heavily BUT are very playful when let out.

A week after this first incident Rosco was in the litter pan lethargic
again.  He had bitten my room mate who was trying to move him (Rosco never
bites) AND his back legs were purple.  I brought him back to the vet, he had
a blood test that showed his liver was over working and so was the glob
protein stuff.  He stayed over night.  Over the weekend I was giving him
amoxi, metronidazole and subcutaneous fluids.  He seemed like he was getting
better and his feet were back to a normal color..  Monday morning his eye
was swollen shut.  I put some water on it and it seemed fine.  Monday night,
he was lethargic again.  Back to the vet for the day he went.  They took
another blood test.  There was actually an improvement from the friday
before.  But they noticed a chip tooth and a cut on his mouth.  I've noticed
his lip area is a little swollen too.  He has been alone in a small one
level cage this whole time.  I don't know what could have happened.  Anyhow
they sent me home and added another antibiotic chloramphenicol.  He seems a
little better.  Gets tired.  He hasn't thrown up and he eats his food
voluntarily.  His stool isn't the greatest consistency.  It's a little
mushy, but has form.  He walks around for a while and then gets tired.  He
is week and his back feet aren't very strong, but he can walk on them.  Does
anyone have any suggestions.