From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 16:35:11 EDT
Steven Houchen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I am a new ferret owner in the state of Illinois.  I have taken my ferrets,
>are have called, to many vets.  They all say that either ferrets do not need
>rabbie shots are that they won't give them to them.  Do ferrets even need
>rabbie shots.  I have been told that they do, but I am not for sure.  If
>these vets will not give my two handsome ferrets rabbie shots, well they
>give them any other kind of shots.  I think this to be weird considering
>every other animal needs to get rabbie shots.  Please help.

Congratulations on your new ferret!!

Yes, ferrets DO need rabies shots.  There is only one that is approved by
the FDA and recognized as effective in ferrets.  It is Imrab-3.  MAKE SURE
your ferret is vaccinated with THIS RABIES VACCINE.  If he ever bites
someone, this is the only thing that will prevent him from being killed to
be tested for rabies.

Ferrets also need distemper vaccinations.  They should be vaccinated with
Fervac-D or one other one that is specific for ferrets (sorry, I can't
remember the name).  Distemper is an airborne virus, so even if your ferrets
never go outside, they can still be exposed.  Distemper is ALWAYS fatal in
ferrets.

Check <A HREF="http://www.ferretworld.com/star/index.html">STAR* Ferrets
home page.</A> for a ferret-knowledgeable vet in your area.

[Moderator's note: ferretworld.com has moved on to other things (like
the Rainbow Bridge page) so the above address will no longer work.  One
place there is a pointer to vet lists is at Ferret Central:
http://www.ferretcentral.org/#other_info                         BIG]

Also, since you are a new owner, you might want to consider buying the
following 2 books.  They are excellent and will be invaluable to you and
your fuzzy.  There are many books available, but most are not very good.
These two, however, are both wonderful!

The first ferret book is A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO FERRET CARE by Deborah Jeans.
The ISBN# is: 0-9642589-1-9.

The second is THE FERRET:  AN OWNER'S GUIDE TO A HAPPY HEALTHY PET by
Mary R. Shefferman.  The ISBN# is: 0-87605-498-X.

You can get them from:

www.amazon.com

and

www.TheFerretStore.com

or any bookstore.  I've ordered things from each of the 2 web sites, and
have had no problems whatsoever.

An excellent magazine is MODERN FERRET (www.modernferret.com) as well.

Good luck!!

Kim and The Dynamic Duo