From:
"Ann D. Phillips" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 19:08:26 -0400
Reverse, because most biters start out that way, not live the perfect
ferret life and START biting then!

Helga, the Contrary joined us last December.  When I got her she was about
6 months old, a nice 2.82 lb silvermitt late-kit.  She had a bit of
late-kit nipping.  She was also the most "spooky" of all my ferrets, slunk
around the edges of rooms, did the belly crawl from open area to open area,
spooked at people coming into the room, etc.  She was also the most high
energy when she felt comfortable, and still is.  Wardances off the couch
and runs around the room like a maniac!

We broke her of the nipping with the scruff, admonish and say OOOWWWWWWW -
like it hurts!  - method, which has not failed us yet, and is working
wonders on the two new ones.

So oddly enough, as a 14 month old, she is starting to sneak attack.  Feet,
the backs of calves, and even once to be picked up since I missed her more
polite request.  She drew blood on my best friend and houseguest.  He'd
come into the ferret room and ask politely "Is Helga out?"  She made a nice
puncture in the top of my husband's foot this morning.

She eats, sleeps and poops fine, but my husband suggests a medical checkup
along with exploring the behavioral aspect.  She had some medical problems
in May that might have caused some kidney damage long-term, but in June she
had an exam and our vet thought she looked fine.  I'd say she is in good
coat, and a nice weight, which she was not, after surgery.  I don't think
Dr. Karen will find anything

Does anyone have any ideas why she is being such a pain, literally :) ???
Oh, she is half Swedeish, if that matters at all.  I've noticed some of the
European ferrets are pretty active.

Ann
And the Too Many To List Here