Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:54:02 -0700
>From:    Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Isoflourene vs ketamine
>...If anything, ketamine puts them "too under." Ketamine is an injection -
>once you give it, you can't take it back.  Isoflourene is a gas - and a
>very safe one.  If any animal becomes "too under", you just take the cone
>or mask off and they wake up really fast.  There is really no reason for
>any vet not to use iso for any type of surgery that I am currently aware
>of....

Standard disclaimer: I am not a vet!  But, I did work for vets as a tech for
7 years as well was a breeder.  Having had many ferrets spayed/neutered/misc
surgeries, I have made my own opinions regarding the use of Ketamine,
Ketamine/ace combo, or Iso.  While, yes, iso is the safest in many ways,
including what Debbie said above, my experience has shown me that ket/ace is
most effective in others.  Such as the fact that a ferret does not wake up
as quickly from it so they do not tend to do damage to their incision the
day of surgery by being too rambunctious.  They stay quiet much longer,
enabling the surgical site time to start healing before being subjected to a
ferret's normal movements.  This seemed to be most important with jills
getting spayed as well as other abdominal surgeries, whereas a bit of iso is
all that is needed for the boys getting neutered.  Another disadvantage to
iso is that it can be more stressful to the ferret receiving it than just
an injection, but unfortunately, those the most easily stressed are the most
vulnerable, so need iso for just that reason.

The long and short of it is there is no one right or wrong answer.  It
should be taken on a case by case basis.  Certain questions should be asked,
such as is the ferret strong enough physically for ket/ace?  Will there be
someone there to monitor the ferret for at *least* the first 24 hours
following surgery?  I was lucky in that I was allowed to take my babies home
after surgery because my boss knew I knew what to do and in most cases, no
matter what the vet says to you (please!  no flames for this!) there is not
someone there to watch your babies at night.  Now, do *not* go out and
demand to be able to take your kids home just because of this, sometimes
alone in a cage without any stimulation is just what the doctor ordered (pun
intended) and always remember, when in doubt, trust the vet's opinion.  If
you can't do that, get a new vet.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox.  If anyone wants any stories of what I've seen
in the past, let me know.  I have heartwarmers as well as, unfortunately,
horror stories.

Tracy, Cooter and Talyn

PS: I'm moving this week, so may not have net access for a few until my
phone gets turned on, so if you email me, be patient.  The boys are thrilled
to be going to where they're the only pets again....war dancing all day
again!!!  :)

(And to you, Bill, if you'd like, I'll be happy to volunteer to help filter
posts.  If, that is, no one has any objections or thinks I'm too
opinionated.  :) )