From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:58:10 -0600
For all of those Utah and Salt Lake County Ferret enthusiasts outthere, you
may have been shocked to learn that Ferrets are still very illegal in Salt
Lake County, Tooele County and other parts of Utah.

The overall problem has been the stagnation of the county commission headed
by one Mary Callaghan and her two partners.  They have had two differnt
animal ordinance placed before them in the past four years.  Both have been
lost in the shuffle of political squabbling between the over paid
politicians and the County Attorney Doug Short.

I have spoken with both Doug Short and Mary Callaghan.  Well, only once with
Callaghan, at a County Meeting in December 1997.  When on behalf of the
United Ferret Organization, I presented a petition with over 1500 signatures
for the legalization of Ferrets, their recognition as a domestic pet, and a
14 day quarantine in cases of biting.  The split tongue political voice told
me they would have something in 60 days.  Well, 180 days later the only
thing accomplished is I lost a days pay when I took the day off of work to
go before the commission.

The latest talks now put this animal ordinance and Ferret legalization issue
past the next election, November 1998.  Well it happens to be that Callaghan
is up for reelection.  I will find out in the next two or three days if her
opponent is pro or against the legalization issue.  I will also make it
known that U.F.O.  will throw its full support behind whomever 'PROMISES' in
writting to get this done.  I know a political promise and 35 cents gets me
a phone call.  But, I can be very verbal and disruptive when I have to be.
Of course I will send an immediate press release when I receive this
promise.

So my Salt Lake Ferret enthusiasts, stay posted to find out who we want as
our candidant.  Remember a vote for ____________ is another Ferrets life
spared the cruel and unworthy death caused by someones ignorance.

Thank You,
Rick Roller
United Ferret Organization

The United Ferret Organization is dedicated to the protection of the
Domestic Ferret and educating others about the wonderful companions they
make.