Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:39:01 -0400
From:
Ben Wilborn <[log in to unmask]>
Hello all you ferret lovers out there.  I am a brand new ferret owner as of
Tuesday of this week.  I have only one question for all of you experienced
ferret lovers out there.  Why does my ferret bite me so hard that he draws
blood.  He bites very deep and hard.  He didn't do this when I was at the
breeders place.  I had done lots of research before I bought SMOKEY, I have
read that you can use bitter apple or lime juice to stop nipping.  I have
tried this, and he still BITES!  HARD!  Smokey is almost 14 weeks old now.
When I went to pick him up, he was not to bad of a ferret.  Once I got him
home, I put him in his ferret proofed room and left him be so that he could
learn about his new surroundings.  When I tried to pick him up after about
an hour or two, he bit the heck out of my finger.  Bleeding wasn't the word
for it!  I scruffed him and said no real loud.  That seemed to stop him at
that moment, but he bit me just as hard over and over again.  My fingers
can't stand this much more.  The way I pick him up right now is I put a
glove on my hand, so that when he bites I can stand it a little better.  I
still scruff him and say no, but it doesn't seem to work.  I have tried the
timeout approach, and the flick of the nose methods.  I am trying to be as
patient with Smokey as I can, but I am worried that he could bite my
girlfriend.  Once that happens, he is gone.  I realize this could take some
time to BITE train him, but I need some suggestions ASAP!  I really like the
little guy, and I am being as patient as I can, but this hard BITING has got
to stop.  I don't mind nipping to let me know he wants me to play.  Also,
should I be worried about rabies?  Since I have been bitten.  I plan on
getting his shots in the very near future, but what about me??  Should I be
worried about getting something from these bites.  I have been told that the
kits are safe from disease for a period of time, because their mother has
had her shots, is this TRUE????  HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!