Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:08:43 EDT
From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Sandi Ackerman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I too have been presented with weasels from people thinking they were
>ferrets (even a possum once :-).  My vet has recommended against keeping
>them in the same building as my domestic ferrets because of the unknown
>types of diseases (viruses?) they may carry.  I've yet to find a wild life
>rehaber in this area who knows how to care for weasels.  Does anyone know
>if there is or is not any danger to our ferrets from parasites, viruses,
>bacteria that weasels may carry?  (I'm not suggesting direct contact.)

I am a wildlife rehabber in Michigan.  Wild weasels carry fleas, ticks,
possibly mites, and possibly lice.  They also carry a variety of internal
parasites.  There may very well be some airborne viruses carried by weasels
that can infect ferrets.  While I realize you are not advocating direct
contact, it should not even be considered.  You wouldn't put a bobcat in
with your pet kitty or a coyote in with your dog.  Don't put weasels in
with ferrets either.

If I were presented with a weasel, I would know how to take care of it (kind
of like a cross between a ferret and a skunk when it comes to care).  I
would not house the weasel in the same room, possibly not in the same
building as my ferrets.  If the weasel appeared sick at all, I'd probably
go further and change clothes between rooms/buildings.

Kim VanderLaan (and The Dynamic Duo)
West Michigan Wildlife Rescue