Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 06:16:30 -0500
From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Q: "...do you think being in a cage a long time effects the behaviour of
ferrets?"

A: Yes; they start putting unnecessary "u"s after "o"s in lots of words.
If I were kept in a cage, I might spelling wourds with extra "u"s as well,
but I'm nout kept in a cage, sou I doun't.  Coulourfull, nou?

The ferret is a bright animal, filled with curiosity, and driven by the
desire to experience novelty.  Of course a cage will effect them.  However,
I don't think it is the cage, per se, that is the problem as much as a bleak
environment.

The old rule of thumb is, the more barren an environment, the duller the
animal.  This is as true today as it was 120 years ago when the first
principles of learning behaviors were being formulated.  What is generally
accepted today is the brain is remarkably similar in structure in all
mammals--indeed; in all vertebrates--and the differences are in the degree
of developement of the various parts.  It has been shown repeatedly, in
both lower and higher mammals, that a stimulating environment can actually
increase the dendrites and dendritic connections within the brain.  In
effect, this makes the brain smarter (And I should know; I added three
dentdrites and DOUBLED my IQ!).

This is especially true with very young brains, which is why a human baby
can learn to walk, talk, eat, and socialize in just a few years, while I
have a very difficult time learning my own phone number (and now that I have
a new one, I can't remember it).  The key is an interesting environment
while very young, but extending throughout the entire life of the
individual.

The real problem with cages is that it takes the ferret no time at all to
explore and learn every last part of it.  Toys are also quickly learned, and
the ferret rarely experiences novelty; that is, the introduction of new or
unknown things.  Something as simple as a paper bag are greeted with
absolute joy and exploration, and each ferret will take turns sniffing and
rubbing and outright wallowing on the sack.  Or take my experiences visiting
ferret people; as soon as I'm introduced, ferrets swarm me.  Is this because
I am the great and wonderful Bhor that I am?  No way.  Its because I am
something novel in the environment.

You have seen this yourself; what do your ferrets do the moment you toss an
empty box on the floor?  The box is a novel item in the environment, and
the investigatory responses (not much fear, excitement, dooking, sniffing,
pouncing) demonstrate the ferret's *need* for exploration.  I believe this
need is a result of human selection; there are a few reports that compare
ferret to polecat responses, and they generally conclude ferrets explore
while polecats retreat, then only timidly explore later.  I think ferrets,
in their role of mouser, ratter, and in ferreting, has been bred
specifically to explore strange new worlds, to seek out life and new raisin
nations, and to boldly go where no polecat has gone before!

Sorry.  But the point that ferrets love to explore is a valid one.
Unfortunately, many are never given those oportunities, and they become
dull, bored and lifeless as a result (all but Stella, who is always that way
and acts as if she is one milligram away from overdosing on Prozac.) Cage or
free living, there are some thing you can do in increase novelty in their
lives:

1) Frequently introduce new objects in their environment, such as paper
bags, a cardborad box, new toys, box full of cut grass of fall leaves.
That sort of thing.  Remember, ferrets are smell rather than eye oriented,
so a new smell means a new object, even if it is the same old ball.  I
refresh the smell with different scents from time to time.

2) Take them outside; on a leash of course. Let them explore the grass and
flowers and run after water sprayed from a hose.

3) Imagine that a cage to a ferret is much like jail to humans; even though
you can cave books and TV and hobbies, you *STILL* want out!  Try not to
ignore them while they are in the cage, and try to maximize their
out-of-cage times whenever possible.  When you return them to the cage,
have something novel waiting for them inside.

Ferrets are intensely curious, intelligent beings, and introducing novelty
into their lives will make them happier as well as entertain you for hours
on end.  There is little that can match the joy of a ferret pouncing on a
crisp new sack.

Bob C and 20 MO Jailhouse Rockers