From:
Tara Menne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 17:55:35 -0600
I am pleased to announce the addition on a new little girl to my family -
she's my first case of ferret math!  Her name is Zungwoon, which my
housemates promptly changed to Zoey Wong, as they can't pronounce Korean
(sigh...).  I adopted her from her mom - who had taken *wonderful* care of
her - and she is the fluffiest dark sable, with sparkling eyes, and the
personality of an FLO agent-in-training.  She's a 1 year old MF lady, and
my 2nd weasel.

Now I need introduction advice!  Sam is 7-ish(?), and doesn't like other
ferrets (at all.  promise.), and basically tries to ignore Zoey.  Zoey wants
to play, play, play and so Sam hisses at her whenever Zoey gets close and
tries to grab the back of her neck.  It's definitely pecking order stuff,
but it doesn't seem to be getting resolved.  I think once they work out
who's boss, Sam can go back to sucessfully ignoring Zoey, but until then...
I let them out for a couple hours a day to play in the whole house -
together - any encourage and give treats anytime Sam lets Zoey get near
without hissing or snapping.  I don't take sides or separate them when
they're tussling as it's never gotten violent - heck, it's never gotten to
tussling!

If anyone has any other ideas, *please* let me know!!!  I can accept enemy
camps - was prepared for it - but there doesn't seem to be *hatred* just
dislike.  But I don't want to add anymore stress to Sam's life than I need
to as she's getting a bit fragile in her old age.  She's happy to have full
run of the house instead of just my room and sometimes seems friskier than
before Zoey came - when Zoey's not around.

On a happy ending note - Zoe-ster dances and dances and latches on to my
calf to get us to play, comes to her squeeky, and is about 98% on the
corners she's chosen - oh yeah!  I'm sure she'll be looking to set up a
local branch of the FLO once she's done settling in - keep an eye out for a
multi-language spy!

Fuzzies to all,
Tara

P.S. Craig in Loveland - I lost your email address - please get in touch!

Tara Marie Menne