From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:19:56 EDT
Ingella,

Thank you for telling us how you care for your ferrets in Sweden.  Please
excuse us here in America if we choose not to follow the same guidelines as
you.  I could never rest comfortably for an hour if one of my ferrets went
missing because he or she had crawled into a hole in the wall.  I certainly
would not have such a complacent attitude if one went missing for up to five
days.

I cannot speak for others, but here the ferrets are caged at night for their
own protection and during times of potentially dangerous weather conditions.
One can never tell when a fire could break out and it is much easier to go
to the ferret room and remove the caged ferrets than it is to try to hunt
frightened creatures as smoke fills the house.  During the day, the ferrets
have free run of their room -- a placce that resembles a ferret wonderland.
It is filled with tunnels, ball bins, toys, stuffed animals, cat towers, and
litter boxes.  New arrangements and toys are switched out on a regular basis
to prevent them from becoming bored with their surroundings.  They and I
also spend hours together playing and sharing hugs and kisses.  They are
safe, happy, and content.

As for we Americans choosing to take the time, effort, and financial
responsibilities for treating illnesses in our ferrets -- well, don't expect
any apologies for that.  I say congratulations and bravo to every one of the
ferret caregivers here who does that.  Ferrets are living, breathing,
feeling creatures and not a disposable item to be destroyed or discarded
when they become ill.  We do not see all illnesses as necessarily
automatically terminal.  I love my ferrets as deeply as I love my human
family and friends, and that love is not conditional on a monetary basis.
I don't hug my ferrets and say "Marlow, I love you -- up to five hundred
dollar's worth." I also know that there does come a time to say goodbye
and end unnecessary suffering, but that decision is not based on a dollar
amount.

Your methods seem to work well for you and satisfy you, congratulations and
welcome to them.  But, please do not criticize those of us who choose other
methods, nor preach that your way is best and ours is less than ideal.  There
are as many different good methods of care for ferrets as there are ferret
care givers.

Scott and the happy, healthy and safe Mustilid Mob