From:
Anita Klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:04:56 -0400
Hello all,

I'm delurking to tell you about a little scare we had over the weekend.

We have 3 ferrets.  2 female and 1 male.  We generally cage them at night
and let them out of the cage during the day in the ferret room.  On
Saturday morning I let them out into the ferret room and we left for 2-3
hours.  We have plexiglass at the door so we can see inside the room.

When we returned home I went to look in on the ferrets and saw the male
laying motionless in front of the doorway.  Only his entire head and neck
was inside an empty paper towel roll!  Literally stuffed inside - I have no
idea how he could fit!!!  I didn't think even our smallest girl could do
that!  I stood there in shock for a moment and my husband leaped over the
plexiglass barrier and tore the paper towel roll off.  He's fine!  But, I
can't help thinking if it had been during the week when we are gone all
day!  I've been haunted by the vision of him laying there motionless, with
his head and neck stuffed inside that little piece of cardboard!

I know we all have heard it before.  But, be VERY careful about what your
ferrets have access to!  Paper towels are something that are necessities
for most ferret rooms!  So be very careful about leaving empty rolls
around!  Don't think that something is too small for your ferret to get
into!  It just may not be!  Be AWARE!

Anita Klein
Buddy, Binky, Bernie (a little stunned by fine!)