From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:26:50 EDT
>First off, I read in one book that ferrets were part of the otter family.
>Another book states that they are part of the weasel family.  Does anybody
>have an idea as to which way it goes?

Laura,

Actually, they are all part of the same family.  Some people prefer to say
ferrets are related to otters simply because otters have such a good public
image and weasels have such a bad public image -- kind of like no one
invites Uncle Wilfred to the family reunions or talks about him above a
whisper.  All are mustilids -- btw, so are badgers and wolverines, too,
to mention just two more of the Mustilid family cousins.

As for ferrets and rabbits -- yes, ferrets have been used to chase rabbits
from their warrens for centuries.  However, here in America, that is no
longer permitted and so the average pet ferret has not learned that rabbits
are not big, floppy eared, cuddly playmates.  It is wise not to let any pets
of different species alone unsupervised -- you never can tell what might
happen.

Scott and the Mustilid Mob