From:
Lisaferets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:56:42 EST
Dawn

Take heart:all is not lost.  IMO, its time for a new vet -- any "ferret" vet
that says that a right side adrenal is inoperable -- well, lets just say
that they aren't as ferret friendly as they present themselves.

I have had many right side adrenal ferrets successfully operated on and the
gland/tumor removed, and one instance of a bilateral adrenal.  Don't get me
wrong, I am not saying that the vet is not a good vet!  Only that he/she is
either uncomfortable with removing the gland or truly believes that you can
not remove it.  Sometimes even with ligation, the best you can do is debulk
it, but that is better than seeing where the tumor is located, sewing the
ferret back up and labeling his adrenal problem "inoperable"!  Granted, the
location next to the vena cava would be enough for me to say "inoperable" --
but then again, I'm not a vet.

My latest right side adrenal ferret, Yod He Vawhe, gave an experienced
ferret vet, fits with his surgery -- he was in for 2 1/2 hours, and they
were not able to completely remove the gland.  This was in Mid-January, and
as of today, has regained 70% of the hair lost.

Go to ferret Central or the Star ferret resource list and see if you can
locate a vet near you who has been recommended by other ferret owners.
Good luck with your fuzzy!!!

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"