From:
"J. Matthew Saunders" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:05:50 -0500
Yvonne writes:
>My husband and I have two ferrets, ages 10 weeks and 11 weeks.  They've been
>clawing the rug to get under the couch and have left that area of the rug
>frazzled.  We were wondering if this type of behavior could in some way be
>deterred, if they would outgrow it, or if declawing were an option.  Any
>suggestions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My ferrets claw less than they used to.  And my carpets are frazzled in some
areas too.  I don't believe that ferrets ever outgrow the "digging"
instinct.  You can try putting bitter apple down where the ferts tend to
claw.  I've put down carpet remanents and plastic runners where they are at
their worst.  I've also found taking them out for a walk on leashes and
h-harnesses helps.  Mine found a spot outside that they LOVE digging in.

Declawing: egad!  Ferts paws are not like cat paws.  If you declaw a fert,
its like cutting off the first phlange on each finger on your own hand.  You
seriously cripple the animal.  I don't think any vet would perform the
procedure--but just in case, please don't do it.

Cheers!
Matthew