From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 08:51:55 -0500
Whoa - MF mills other animals under a different name?  I'd like to know more
about this - privately is fine.

Bob C - good points about the legal issues, inspections etc.  However I
believe the USDA has jurisdiction about inspecting commerical enterprises
like MF> having dealt with the USDA once I know that their laws and
standards are very much oriented toward commerical purposes of animals to be
killed for food, fur etc.  I dont want to debate whether companion animals
and stock animals should have the same treatment.  Lets just say that I
certainly believe that the conditions the USDA thinks are OK are definately
not anywhere near what I consider OK for a companion animal.  So if the USDA
is inpsecting MF I have no faith that thinks are ok.  Maybe this is the
place to start - getting inspection practices changed somehow.  Either a
different agency, different regulations or something.  Otherwise I'm not
sure that the AHA, SPCA or any other group can really get involved.

Mary