From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 1994 12:04:17 -0400
To Bill and Clare Sebok -

        Concerning your recent experience with potentially life-threatening
reactions to Fervac-D, I must admit it is interesting that two of your threee
had vacine reactions within hours of each other.  Vaccine reactions are uncommon
in ferrets and other animals.  Fervac-D had occasional eactions in the past (a
bit higher than normal) but supposedly has been reformulated to eliminate most
of the problems.  Perhaps your pets were vaccinated with an older batch...

        Concerning prevention of reactions in the future - many vaccines have
the same ingredients, so switching back to Fromm D, although advisable, is still
not adequate prevention.  On your next trip to the vet, I would suggest that you
remind him/her of your ferret's problems and administer a dose of anithistamines
30 minutes prior to the vaccination.  Vaccine reactions in all species strike
unexpectedly, usually with no prior warning.  The animal has become sensitized
to some part of the vaccine - only rarely it is the virus itself, more commonly
it is another inert component of the vaccine.  Probably, we miss most of the
allergic reactions, and only pick up on the very severe ones.  I believe you
acted entirely properly, taking your pets to the emergency clinic.  I applaud
your decisiveness and presence of mind in this experience.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000