From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:31:57 -0800
This is for Darcie, whose ferret No-No rolls around in his used litter.
Actually Darcie, he's not being bad, that's just a joke we FML'ers use,
stringing the no no stuff all together.  Like nonobadgeorgia for saying
that.

Ferrets LOVE a fresh litter pan.  All my ferrets will surf in the new
litter.  And my baby angora will surf in 2 day old litter!  I wipe them
down with an unscented baby wipe, generally whenever it's out time.

But to prevent or slow down his playing in used litter, can you pick up
after him each time the box is used.  My top cage is easy to reach and
clean, and the 2 ferrets there use the same corner.  I can easily keep it
poop free!  The lower cage is difficult to clean, and neither ferret there
ever uses the same spot twice.  That's where the angora is, and that's why
it gets cleaned less frequently.  He covers them up running through the
pan, and they are so spread out anyway, it always looks fairly clean.  Plus
I have to get down on my hands and knees and stick my head into the cage to
reach the litter pan.

Another possibility would be to provide him a seperate digging box.  Either
another litter pan you take out when he finishes playing in it, or a pan of
aquarium gravel or some other substance to dig in.  Dirt is great, but it
requires a deep box, a vinyl floor, and a lot of patience.  Or going
outside!

Good luck with encouraging No-No to use the litter pan for litter, and to
play elsewhere.  But the more you scold him, the harder it will be to break
the habit.  I use distractions, because they are sooooo stuborn.

Georgia